How to find a property in Sweden
Looking to buy a property in Sweden, but not sure how it works? Well, you’ve come to the right place! With over 60 million visits a month, Hemnet is Sweden’s most popular housing portal. So no matter which type of property you are looking for, we have something for you!
But first – here are a couple of things you might need to know about buying property in Sweden, before you start your home hunting:
Access Hemnet via the app or web (hemnet.se, this guide is made for web use). For web, to translate the page, right click anywhere on the page and choose “Translate to English” (depending on which browser you’re using).
- The two most common housing forms in Sweden are property (you have your own house on your own land) and housing cooperative apartment (you live in an apartment which you have bought the right to live in).
- In Sweden, the home viewing, deal and transaction are all handled by the real estate agent. The agents are university educated, their activities are regulated by law and they are responsible for creating all the legal documents needed. The seller pays for the agent but the agent is by law obliged to safeguard the interests of both the buyer and the seller.
- There are requirements for how much you must repay on your mortgage and you can’t borrow more than 85 per cent of the property’s value. Also, you preferably need a written loan commitment from a bank before you get too far in the buying process.
- The agent holds open viewings (you can see in the listing at Hemnet when these viewings are planned). Many agents also have online viewings, if you’re physically unable to get to the open viewing.
- As a buyer, you have the legal obligation to inspect the property, because once you’ve bought it, you can’t hold the seller responsible for any defects of the property that you could’ve discovered.
There are of course many more things to know about the process of buying a property in Sweden. But the real estate agent responsible for the property that you’re interested in will be more than happy to help you with all your questions. So let’s move on to the fun part – finding a home through Hemnet.
Hemnet has been around since 1998. Here, the vast majority of Sweden’s real estate agencies publish thousands of homes of various kinds every week combined. Every year, upwards of 200,000 Swedes (and foreigners) find their next dream home using Hemnet.
You can access Hemnet via hemnet.se on the web via your computer, mobile phone or tablet. We also have apps for both iPhone and Android, which can be downloaded via the Appstore and Google Play. (Note that Hemnet’s appearance may differ between web and app.)
What will I find on Hemnet?
On hemnet.se, you will mainly find apartments and houses, both newly produced and so-called “succession homes” (second-hand homes). But there are also: terraced houses, holiday homes, detached plots, farms, woodland and other objects, such as industrial properties, rental properties and boathouses. At Hemnet, you can also get help with your loans and insurance.
How do I search on Hemnet?
So, now that you know what you can find at Hemnet, let’s get started finding that dream home of yours!
This is how you do it:
1. Access Hemnet via the app or web (hemnet.se, this guide is made for web use). For web, to translate the page, right click anywhere on the page and choose “Translate to English” (depending on which browser you’re using).
2. Under the ”For sale” tab, fill in where you want to find a new home in the search box. You can enter e.g. a municipality, city or street. As you fill in the search box, suggestions can appear in a drop-down list, you can also select an area from here.
3. Choose the type of home you are looking for, e.g. villas, townhouses or apartments (or simply use the default – “All types”).
4. If you want to fine-tune your search a bit, you can click on ”Show search filter” and then select ”Minimum number of rooms”, ”Living area”, ”Maximum price”, ”New production” or ”Keywords” (e.g. ”balcony” or ”elevator”). Then click on the button ”Find homes for sale”.
5. After clicking the button, you will come to the search result. Here is a list of the homes that match your search. Scroll through the list and click on the ones you like. (You’ll need to right click and translate the page to English again.) The list is automatically sorted by “Newest first”, but you can click the drop down menu to choose from a number of different sorting options.
6. If you want to refine or change your search, you can do so from here. Just click on the button ”More search-options” to be able to search on e.g. year of construction, days at Hemnet, viewing time, square meter price and much more. Then click on ”Find housing”.
Listings on Hemnet can look different, depending on which ad-package the seller has chosen to buy. Hemnet Bas is Hemnet’s smallest package, which provides a cropped image in the results list, Hemnet Plus is the standard package that provides, among other things, a larger image and visible display times in the results list, and Hemnet Premium provides both a larger image and more images, as well as a number of other benefits.
Five tips for finding your dream home on Hemnet
1. Don’t miss the coming listings
When you have done a search and came to the results list, you will also find a tab here called ”Coming”. Under this tab, real estate agents publish homes that will soon be for sale. If you find a home here that you like, you can contact the agent responsible directly for more information.
2. Create an account and save your searches
Go to “Sign in” in the upper right corner and follow the instructions, to get a user account on Hemnet. This lets you save your searches and the listings you like. Everything you save is synced between Hemnet’s mobile apps and hemnet.se.
3. Set up surveillance emails
Create an account and save a search to automatically receive an e-mail when listings that match your saved searches are published on Hemnet.
4. Click on the agent’s contact card
If you find a home you like, click on the real estate agent’s contact card in the listing to see what other homes that agent has for sale. These are often other, similar homes in the same area.
5. Search “Similar homes for sale”
In our section called ”Similar homes for sale”, which you can find further down in each listing, you’ll see more homes that are reminiscent of the home whose listing you are currently on.
And of course, if you have any questions whatsoever, don’t hesitate to e-mail or call our customer support.
You can reach us at +46 775 17 00 00 or [email protected].
FAQ – Buying property in Sweden
How does the Sweden real estate market work?
The Sweden real estate market is renowned for its stability, transparency, and efficiency. Most transactions are straightforward, with clear legal frameworks in place to protect both buyers and sellers. However, it is always recommended to engage a real estate agent and a solicitor to help navigate the process, especially if you are unfamiliar with the local market and legal procedures. They can provide invaluable advice, help you find the best deals, and ensure that all the necessary paperwork is in order.
Yes, Sweden boasts a diverse range of properties, from modern apartments in bustling urban centers to charming houses nestled in the countryside. The availability of homes for sale in Sweden can vary significantly depending on the region, city, and even the neighborhood, with some areas experiencing higher demand than others. Seasonal variations can also play a role, with different times of the year offering varying amounts of available listings.
Are there many homes for sale in Sweden?
Yes, it is relatively straightforward to look for houses in Sweden. Hemnet provide comprehensive listings of available properties, and real estate agents are readily available to assist you in finding the right home that meets your needs and preferences. However, it is essential to act quickly when you find a property you are interested in, as the market can be competitive, especially in popular areas.
What is unique about Sweden homes for sale compared to other countries?
Swedish homes are often characterized by their modern, minimalist design, and practicality, with a strong emphasis on functionality and eco-friendliness. The country’s unique right to access law, ”Allemansrätten,” allows people to roam freely in nature, even on private land, fostering a strong connection between Swedes and their natural surroundings. This aspect can be reflected in the design and location of homes in Sweden, providing a unique living experience compared to other countries.
How is the process of buying real estate in Sweden different from other countries?
The Swedish real estate market is known for its transparency and regulated nature, making the process of buying property straightforward and secure. Unlike in some other countries where bidding wars are common, in Sweden, the listed price of a property is usually the starting point for negotiations. This transparent approach helps ensure that all parties are on the same page and can contribute to a smoother transaction process.
What should I look for when choosing a property for sale in Sweden?
When considering a property for sale in Sweden, it’s crucial to take into account several factors to make an informed decision. Look at the property’s location, its proximity to essential amenities, the condition of the property, and its potential for future appreciation. Additionally, Sweden has strict regulations regarding energy consumption, so it’s vital to check the property’s energy efficiency rating. This not only contributes to environmental sustainability but can also result in lower utility bills.
Can foreigners easily buy apartments in Sweden?
Yes, there are no legal restrictions preventing foreigners from buying apartments in Sweden. However, the process requires diligence, and it’s essential to ensure all necessary documents are in order and seek legal advice to navigate the transaction smoothly. Foreign buyers should also be aware of the local market conditions and legal requirements to make an informed purchase.
Is it expensive to buy property in Sweden?
The cost of property in Sweden varies widely depending on the location, type, and condition of the property. Urban areas, particularly in major cities like Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Malmö, tend to have higher property prices compared to rural areas. However, even within cities, prices can vary significantly between different neighborhoods.
What additional costs should I consider when buying property for sale in Sweden?
When buying a property in Sweden, it’s important to account for additional costs besides the purchase price. These can include stamp duty, property tax, legal fees, and potentially homeowners association fees. Additionally, ongoing maintenance costs should be factored in, as well as any potential renovations or upgrades that the property may require.
What are the mortgage options available in Sweden for property purchase?
Sweden offers a variety of mortgage options for property buyers, with several banks providing competitive mortgage loans to both residents and non-residents. The terms and interest rates can vary, and it’s crucial to have a stable income and a good credit history to qualify for a mortgage. Engaging a financial advisor or mortgage broker can help you navigate the options and find the best deal.
Can I rent out my property in Sweden after purchasing it?
Yes, property owners in Sweden are allowed to rent out their property. However, it’s important to be aware of the local regulations regarding rentals, ensure you have the necessary permits, and declare your rental income for tax purposes. Engaging a property management service can help navigate these requirements and ensure a smooth rental process.
What is the best time of the year to buy property in Sweden?
The real estate market in Sweden is active throughout the year, but there tends to be a higher number of listings available during the spring and summer months. However, this can also mean more competition among buyers. On the other hand, the autumn and winter months might offer less competition and potentially better deals, even though there might be fewer properties available. Timing your purchase depends on your specific needs, preferences, and market conditions at the time.
Understanding these aspects of the Swedish real estate market can help you navigate the process of buying a property in Sweden, ensuring a successful and smooth transaction.
Happy home hunting!